Home» Forum» Books & Writing» Anyone here remember A Series of Unfortunate Events?

Anyone here remember A Series of Unfortunate Events?

Back to Books & Writing

My fav book series of all time, nothing I've read since comes close to its unhinged wittiness 🙂‍↕️

I still remember in the reptile room that part that goes "you should never ever ever ever ever..." and then the evers go on for multiple pages, and in the ersatz elevator there's 2 completely blacked out pages to show how dark said elevator was

But more importantly, as a 9 year old kid sitting in the school library by myself binging this series, it's not an exaggeration to say that that series lit shaped who I am as a person. It's morbid and gritty and exposed me to truths about the world at such a young age and challenged my beliefs by making me reflect on what I knew. And considering how today's world functions, trying to wipe out literacy and critical thinking, I'm so glad I had this series as a kid to teach me empathy, unfairness, injustice, survival, and trying to keep hope alive in a dark world.

It's part of the reason why I want to become a writer, even though I don't think anything I'll write or have written will ever come close to that absolute masterpiece of literature. But I do want to try writing something someday that will make people look at these hard truths about the world we live in and find some solace in it, like this series did for me.

OMG I STILL HAVE ALL THE BOOKS!!! I LOVEEEDDDD THEM

tucker, he/him

@sicvitahumana I also have all the books, and it's one of the most precious things I own 🤩

Oh that was my FAVORITE series as a kid! And it holds up!

🔆Sol🔆

Dude I remember being super young and my brother would borrow the BOOKS ON TAPE of this series from the local library and we would listen to it with an earbud in one ear each or on our boombox in the bunk-room we shared growing up.

yep i remember those

yes!! i also watched the netflix show version, its also great

YESSS I LOVE THAT SERIES!!! the netflix version is incredible as well!!! god i grew up with those stories, my mom used to read them to me and my brothers every night before bed

"society, you're a crazy breed... i hope you're not lonely, without me" - eddie vedder

yes bro holy shit I loved the movies the books and the series, I kept rereading the books they're so good

Yes I remember that on a trip to the UK I actually watched the TV series too

Huge part of my childhood that I have a bajillion fond memories of. I find it challenging to go back to them, though. For some reason, and it might just be that I'm too old now, they just can't hold my attention and imagination like they did when I was a kid.


I think my fondest memory of the series was before the last two or three books came out and I had the Unauthorized Autobiography checked out from the library and I was so captivated by trying to identify all the references and clues to what was happening and what might happen next that I stayed up until like 4 AM reading it by flashlight under my bedsheet with a notebook to take down thoughts and theories.

I LOVEEEE ASOUE i had like a hyoer fixation on it when i was 11 and i watched the seris and the books 

yes i remember them!! i loooooved the little illustrations at the beginning / end of the books because i realised they used to contain small hints for the next book :3 it was so fun to guess what it was about!!

like for example the first book the end image would have a snake around a lamppost to represent the snakes in the second book! fun fact :blush:

I USED TO LOVE READING THIS SERIES OMG when i was younger also dont kill me but i never actually got to finish the series 😭😭 

MEEEE.AND FRIEND BOTANY TOO

@🤡 Kidneys / Merry !! CAN ABSOLUTELY CONFIRM... it's such a wonderfully short yet substantial series, I don't think I could ever forget it :')

Still think about it to this day

”Mein Liebling..!”

You must be logged in to reply.