Home» Forum» Web & Tech» How to film vids that look like they're from the 2000s?

How to film vids that look like they're from the 2000s?

Back to Web & Tech

I'm trying to film 2000s style videos but I'm unsure how to make them look like they're actually from the 2000s without using an old camera, any tips?

im pretty sure theres some websites that help u do that, or u can just try and put a blue filter 

Hi! I’m not sure how helpful I can be since I’ve never had this issue but I hyperfixate a lot on tech and years, so I’ll give all the information I know here (sorry if I repeat myself a lot in this):

these are some things I’ve observed about 2000s tech specifically to camera quality 

phones: cameras on phones are usually 3-5 megapixels (Sony X1 2008 phone being 3.8, for example) so one option could be to find a camera that has that amount of resolution, as it will bring the closest resemblance of a 2000s aesthetic


photo cameras: they tend to be really good in the light, but in the dark they tend to go blurry and fuzzy (my experience  with Nikon D3000 2009), I’m not too sure of their resolution and pixels but I will try find out :)


camcorders: they tend to be very fuzzy and low quality again (my Sony camcorder from 2008 is 4 megapixels). they tend to go blue in low warm light and saturate heavily (to a degree that kind of resembles the indie kid filters) in warm bright light. they’re horrible with fairy lights, and often the lights emitted from them don’t show up on camera. 


overall, I’d say look for a cheap camera that is somewhere between 3-5 megapixels and to really add to the 2000s effect, record in dim light. if buying a camera is not an option, basically any laptop works as they end to have 2.1 megapixels in their webcam, (the older the better though), and if that’s not an option either, filming in extremely dim light with your exposure low and keeping the camera unfocused should also work pretty well . 


Hope this helps :))

@bee 🐳 ☆ Thank you!!

I would personally say if you wanted the look, but using a modern camera, see if your camera has the option to change the aspect ratio (4:3 if you want the early-mid (or even late) 2000s look, 16:9 if you want the early HD look of 2007-2009). If you are using a modern camera, it should default to 16:9.

If you are trying to make an older style digital video and it doesn't have the option to record in 4:3, just simply record, downscale to 854x480 (480p 16:9), then crop to 640x480 (480p 4:3) (for 2008+), or downscale to 320x240 (240p) (for 2005 - 2008). Also make sure the FPS is capped at 15 or 30 fps depending on how old you want to make it. Make sure the bitrate is average or lower. Afterwards convert to MPG, AVI (Motion JPEG), MOV, or 3GP for that old look (then afterwards you could convert it back to MP4, I say this tho too due to the ultimate stuff). I am taking an example of what the footage would look like from something like my Pentax Optio Z10. If you need an example on this, lemme know!

If you are trying to make an older style analog video, that is a whole different story, and you can't really get it accurate with digital tools alone, you would need the actual tape equipment and a capture card for that.

@shell woah you know so much

@bee 🐳 ☆ Was that a compliment?

@shell yeah sorry if it didn't come off like that :) 

@bee 🐳 ☆ It's ok

@shell Thank you!!

@be4n_must_d1e Your welcome!

yeah sorry if it didn't come off like that :) 

The CCD sensors in early 2000s cameras had a nice effect where anything bright like a room light or street light would make vertical bars. So if you do make some retro videos, make sure to try and get that in it. :D

It depends if you want to make it look like early digital or late analog eras, as there were a period of time in the first half of the 2000's where both analog (such as Video8/Hi8 and VHS) and digital (Digital8 and MiniDV) formats were available. Some early smartphones cameras give the same vibe as standard definition/early HD camcorders, so, if you have and old iPhone 4 or Android phone from the same era lying around, try using it to film videos! You can also edit them with an era appropriate video editing software for the full experience.

You must be logged in to reply.