Home» Forum» Art & Photography» Any tips for an amateur artist in traditional?

Any tips for an amateur artist in traditional?

Back to Art & Photography

I'm not much of an artist anyway but I'm trying to improve my humble skills. Traditional is easier for me but I stick to only sketches because I'm genuinely so scared of fucking a good sketch up with my shitty coloring. In digital you can color and recolor as much as you want but you can't do that in traditional. Are there any tips on how to start doing that and not screwing up? I deadass haven't made a complete traditional artwork for like 4 years or something and then i wonder why I'm not improving💀 my acrylic markers are just collecting dust unless it's to make a gift card atp

Don’t be afraid of messing up. Yes it sucks but once it’s done it’s done. I used to get so mad but after countless shortcomings and eventual success I realized that the only thing stopping me is … me

@C-A-S-I-O555 I really want to color more but i have petty limited color penils to use 😭✌️

Try joining a discord server. The people on them are very helpful and give useful critique. There's some here: 

https://discord.gg/artist

https://discord.gg/zZV5fZ6pW

https://discord.gg/B2QV3X23a

If you're scared of messing up your sketches, perhaps try drawing without one just to build confidence in colouring. You could even try find a colouring book just to improve solely your colouring. 

I would recommend art tutorials on YouTube or like toffee said join art servers to look for feed back. Learn Color theory and uses references for your art. If you mess up that's okay it's all part of the process it's a leaning experience. 

113116538c41667ac40fbb8bb5f2b1f0

try to draw your eyes at the same time, like doing eyeliner

I'm the opposite and am primarily a traditional artist that's afraid of doing digital. My advice is to just go for it, don't overthink what you're doing, and just start doing it. As for coloring it kinda depends on what you're using? I use alcohol markers but bad paper, so I've had to learn to adjust to both. Don't have much advice for acrylic marker other than make sure its not ultra bad paper. From the few times I did use acrylic markers, they are a little more forgiving since you can just re-do the coloring by going back over to an extent. 

he/him<

You must be logged in to reply.