Home» Forum» Rants & Vents» I'm tired of trying to be friends with straight men....

I'm tired of trying to be friends with straight men....

Back to Rants & Vents

I do not know how to start this off without making it sound like a ramble, but as a bisexual man having straight male friends is so fucking hard and the amount of times I've tried to befriend them or ended up getting betrayed and abandoned by them has completely made me fucking resentful of men, I have had gay male friends in my life who weren't as fake and emotionally immature as straight men were and actually had emotional depth.(I know he's not on here, but shout out to Nathan.)


Even just recently, I got completely blocked by everyone in my video game friend group, because I just wanted to play together with them, and that was it, only to be told that I was starting BS with them and got blocked by all of them (they were all in a session together when it was all happening without me.) I will truly never understand why men have to be so emotionally immature and emotionally hollow when it comes to shit. Every single time I've tried to be friends with straight men, there's just always this weird sense of verbal disrespectfulness and not taking shit seriously at all. 


There was also a time when I had another straight male friend who constantly wanted to play with me online, but when I told him I could not because I had a death in my family, not even a simple condolence or "Hey, dude, I'm sorry for your loss" at all. Like, seriously, you're that emotionally shallow?!(I had to stop in front of him after that.)


Ever since I was a child, I've always had more female friends than male friends because there isn't so much pettiness and hostility and they know how to actually be direct about things. Even when I've tried to physically make guy friends, it's like you're unable to be truly platonic with them and have a real bond with them, because if you ever try to go emotionally deep with them, you're going to get closed off. It's fucking weird.


And yes, I understand that it's very important for a guy to have good male friendships in their life but with the way Gen Z socializes with people and how friendship dynamics aren't the same as they used to be, It just almost feels like a losing game, to be completely honest, and this is something that I've always struggled with for a long time, and I've just had so many feelings of hurt and feeling like something is wrong with me as a person, and I so badly want to have a good track record of having good straight male friendships, but I will never be able to get behind the emotional shallowness and need that every male friendship I have has to be surface-level, like some kind of acquaintanceship. 


I wish more people talked about how sometimes men can have a hard time being friends with guys also. If anyone feels the same way, feel free to tell your story and comment down below, but for now, I'm going to take a step back from making guy friends. Because I'm sick and tired of constantly having the same thing happen over and over again. And I'm sorry if this rant is all over the place. I'm just in a super angry mood right now, and this is the only way I could get my feelings off my chest. 


Hey friend! First off, please don't apologise for the rant at all. You needed to get that off your chest, and every single word of that frustration is completely valid. Also, that's what this forum category is for!


Reading this hit home for me. As a gay man, I've honestly struggled for years making male friends of any sexuality, too. Because of that, I've spent a lot of my life being wary of men and just naturally vibing better with women. It is exhausting trying to crack open a dynamic where emotional depth is treated like a threat or a joke... especially that piece about your family member's passing. That's not just "emotional shallowness," that's a severe lack of basic human empathy, and you had every right to walk away from that.


You are definitely not broken for wanting real, deep connections instead of surface-level acquaintances disguised as friendships. It makes complete sense why you need to step back right now to protect your peace.


But just wanted to throw this out there: we can be friends too! Finding guys that are either gay, bi, or otherwise who actually know how to communicate, drop the ego, and show up authentically is tough; but they are out there. Take all the time you need to breathe and reset, but know you're definitely not alone in feeling this way ❤️‍🩹

Forum & Layout Moderator
Harley Quinn

@𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐫  First up, I just want to say thank you so much for understanding and being empathetic towards me. I really appreciate it a lot, and I saw that we actually were already friends prior, which is good, but thank you for fully reading my posts and not resorting to just victim-blaming me for my own experience really means a lot. 


I've just been so tired of facing so many negative experiences or outcomes from having male friendships that it just pisses me off, and I don't want to make it seem like I'm generalizing Everyone, but I have mostly had better connections with people who are queer than with straight men who, as you said, do have a big ego and are so guarded by towards men. 

@Javonte_isDaddy05 We got this together, friend! It’s alright ❤️‍🩹🫶🏻

Forum & Layout Moderator
Harley Quinn

Love you so much and thank you! 

You must be logged in to reply.