Home» Forum» Books & Writing» Looking for book recs

Looking for book recs

Back to Books & Writing

I have trouble finding books that I enjoy enough to actually finish. Main things that I like are dramas, particularly ones that are very character driven. Does anyone have anything like that that they've really enjoyed?

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I really enjoyed My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Otessa Moshfegh. It's extremely dramatic, and there's a lot of thought provoking things in it. I read it my sophomore year. I would also recommend The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Neither have much romance in there, and if they do it's very side-plot.

Very different books, but two of my favorites :)

@brodybackstabberr I’ve read the perks of being a wallflower and really enjoyed! I’ll add your other suggestion to my list. Thank you so much

One of my favorites to recommend is Dark Matter by Blake Crouch! It's a real page turner! The premise is unique yet the language is easy to understand. It always gets me out of a reading slump.

It's tamaNOTchi! Click to feed!< click me!<

you’ll find a lot of… mixed opinions about sally rooney in the book community—some people hate her, some people love her. i’m somewhere in the middle but i really enjoyed Intermezzo as an extremely character-focused drama!

and if you’re looking for something REALLY wild with a main character who will really leave you thinking: Darryl by jackie ess. the synopsis might make it sound silly and it can be, but it also houses one of the most fascinating main characters i’ve encountered. highly recommend

@topaz I loved intermezzo! I know she’s a bit controversial in the book community but I’m a fan hahha. Thanks for the recommendation! You’re ver convincing haha I will definitely add it to my list

Yooooo. Have you ever heard of The Count of Monte Cristo? This is plainly put, one of the best to ever do it.

@BANNED I have not. I’ll check it out!

@lauralicious It has a ton of adaptations, movies, anime, plays, ect. It's more the tensions between characters and the endings that leave it up to the "drama" side of things. Quite heartfelt, and grounded in the real world to that regard.

I highly recommend this book I read last year that had me thinking about it long after. It's empowering and has just what you are looking for. You can read it at no cost on Gutenberg.org

Fair To Look Upon by Mary Belle Freeley (1892)

Just an added note. Yes the book is very old but there is something so beautiful and new about the world and the way it is described. Not just the scenery, and landscapes, but the way people interact and conduct themselves. I really think you'll like it and I'd definitely be interested in hearing what you think if you do. 

You must be logged in to reply.