Home» Forum» Music» Rap/hip-hop recs?

Rap/hip-hop recs?

Back to Music

I've been really trying to expand my horizons musically lately!! Obv I can just look for stuff myself but I want to know what are some rap or hip-hop artists that people would recommend? :3 they're styles that catch my attention but I don't know where to start haha 

I grew up listening to 90's rap so I'm a bit biased, but groups and artists from around then are my favourite, like The Pharcyde

Some other great artists from the 90's are Camp Lo, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Busta Rhymes, Wu-Tang Clan, Outkast, Gangstarr, Lauryn Hill, Slick Rick, Digable Planets, MF DOOM, Shortie No Mass, Roots Manuva, Brand Nubian, Slum Village, and of course N.W.A, Tupac and Biggie. 

More modern artists I like are Noname, Tierra Whack, Little Simz, Kendrick Lamar, Tyler The Creator, Danny Brown, JPEGMAFIA, Earl Sweatshirt, Denzel Curry, Rico Nasty, Vince Staples, Paris Texas, Junglepussy, Saba, Capital STEEZ, Rejjie Snow

I'm sure there are heaps of great artists I've missed but these were just the ones I could think of, I hope you find something you like :)

I'm the least qualified to answer, but here's a couple of classics.

This was tye first rap song that I recall being 'next level' 

And this one was huge in its day 

people will disagree because they are considered pretty "basic" but if you've never really listened to rap before you should listen to illmatic, graduation and good kid mad city then listen to more of the artist of whatever album you enjoyed the most 

You must be logged in to reply.