Home» Forum» Books & Writing» Book Goblins, Assemble - Give Us Your “Couldn’t Put It Down” Reads

Book Goblins, Assemble - Give Us Your “Couldn’t Put It Down” Reads

Back to Books & Writing

⋅˚₊‧ ୨🕮୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅

Hey FriendRewind patrons!! 


I am an absolute book goblin and I need your help feeding the problem.


I usually read around 2–3 physical/Kindle books a month plus 5–10 audiobooks, and with winter coming I am fully preparing to enter my ✨hibernate and consume literature✨ era.


SOOOO, I want your recommendations!!


♥ What’s a book you wish you could read again for the first time?


♥ Who’s an author you’ll pick up basically anything from?


♥ What book or audiobook had you finding excuses to keep reading or listening?


♥ Or just tell me your favourite book lately!


I’m especially a sucker for thrillers, mysteries, twisty little “WHAT THE DUCK” books, but I’m open to being convinced to read almost anything 


Hit me with your favourites!! I want to leave this thread with an irresponsibly long TBR. 

⋅˚₊‧ ୨🕮୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅

♥ A book I wish I could read again for the first time:
Probably Lock Every Door by Riley Sager. That one had me LOCKED IN.

♥ An author I’ll pick up basically anything from:
Riley Sager, Alice Feeney, and Ruth Ware. If one of them releases something, I am there ☺

♥ An audiobook that had me finding excuses to keep listening:
Rock Paper Scissors by Alice Feeney. I was absolutely inventing chores just so I could keep my airpods on. Orrrr The Unknown by Riley Sager. I burned that book down in two days. I loved it!

♥ Favourite book lately:
I’ve been in such a thriller mood lately, so anything messy, twisty, suspicious, and slightly unhinged has my heart.

Okay your turn!! 

I know this one is ALWAYS recommended so you've probably read it, The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Some people, like me, love it and some people don't. It's about Richard, a poor student who transferred to an elite college in Vermont, who joins the very exclusive Greek students under one specific professor. They become friends, and eventually plot to kill one of the group. According to the wiki it's an inverted detective novel, which is a cool way to say it kinda makes you root for the killer to get away with it 😂 everyone in it is pretentious and mostly unlikable, the main character goes down the same dark path as his wealthy peers, it's fantastic. Also, don't let readers who are as pretentious as the characters try to tell you how to feel about the book, it's not some intellectual marvel it's just a really good book. I could talk about it for hours so I'll leave it at that lol 


°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・ Just a Bunny boy °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

@✴𝓑𝓾𝓷𝓷𝔂✴

I actually have never heard of this book, so I really appreciate you taking the time to recommend and write such a good blurb without giving it all away!! I really like the way it sounds. The fun thriller/mysteries are the best reads. By the sounds of it - I would get sucked in and would finish it in no time. It is going in the TBR!  Don't worry, I always go into recommendations with an open mind. I don't like when people get overly elitist about fun literature!

Once I get a chance a chance to read it, I will come find you so we can nerd out together ☺  

It was hard to get into because the page count was intimidating, but American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett was hard to put down for me, I think after I got into it I finished it in like 2 days, with very few breaks besides eating, sleeping, and general human body upkeep. Its nearly 700 pages long. Picture eldritch horror in a small town setting. 

🔆Sol🔆

I only really read classicals, and even though Frankenstein is my favourite book in general, Jekyll and Hyde is SO good. It’s pretty short (novella), the characters are cool and it’s just really good. Ive read it 3 times I think.

I would also recommend Frankenstein, I’m on my second read of it and it’s so fun. Best book ever 

A book I wish i could read agin for the first time is "A Man Called Ove" by Frederich Bachman. It's just such a good book. It follows an old man who just wants to end his life on his terms, but keeps getting interrupted by things until he doesn't want to any more. The back story of him and his wife is so sweet, it adds so much to the depth of the character of Ove.


A book I come back to frequently is "Kingdoms of Light" by Alan Dean Foster. It's a stand alone --although I would read a series happily-- and also a relatively short book. It's set in a world that has been robbed of all color: you follow a powerful wizard's pets as they find themselves put to the task of restoring color to the world after he dies, and having to traverse the inside of a rainbow to do it. It sounds goofy, but it's really well written and an interesting concept.


An Audiobook I find myself relistening to is "Braiding Sweetgrass" by Robin Wall Kimmerer. It's narrated by the author herself, and she has just the warmest, sweetest voice, it's almost like listening to stories from a friend. The book itself is absolutely perspective shifting, and you will look at things differently afterwards.


The Howl's Moving Castle trilogy by Diana Wynn Jones is also great to listen to. The books themselves are incredible, and the narrator is funny and does a good Welsh accent.


An author I will pick up without a second thought is Sir Terry Pratchett. You can pick up pretty much any of them and have a good time. My only recommendation is I'd hold off on the first two Discworld books and read some of his later work first. His early writing is a little rough, but it consistently get better the longer he writes.

~°☆Get in loser, we're living past the end our myth☆°~

You must be logged in to reply.